Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Library haul!

I thought it might be fun to post something this month other than my Nanowrimo updates, since posts like this one are going to be more like my normal posts on this blog (although honestly I'll probably be posting about a lot of different things, I have a lot of interests). I thought you might be interested in my recent library haul.

A couple of days ago I checked a couple books out of the library. I love using the library to check out books by authors I've never read before.

I also love it because it allows me to determine whether I really like a book enough to want to read it over and over before I get my own copy. I am a big believer in conserving the earth's precious resources, and by borrowing books from the library instead of just going out and buying books, we can help make the most of them. Especially if you have never read the genre or author before. It's a great way to try out new books, and the best thing is that, if you don't like it, you just return it instead of having books you'll never read again littering your shelves (or the trash), without the hassle of trying to sell them on Amazon. It's also a great way to read some new books if you don't have a lot of money to spend.

So here are the books I checked out. 






THE CLOCKWORK SCARAB by Colleen Gleason

I forget which one it was now, but I learned about this book through a Booktuber. And I confess, I already started it before posting this haul (I always want to read my books as soon as I get them). I thought it sounded really interesting. I love the Sherlock Holmes books, and this series based on his niece sounded very interesting. The other main character is supposed to be related to Bram Stoker, but I'm not sure who he is (is he the author of DRACULA? That would explain it, I'm not into horror novels).




 
THE SPIRITGLASS CHARADE by Colleen Gleason

I checked this book out because it was the next book after THE CLOCKWORK SCARAB. Since the first book sounded like something I'd enjoy, I decided to take a gamble and check out the second one as well.












WHY CAN'T I GET BETTER? by Dr. Richard Horowitz

I had Lyme Disease a few years ago, and although I'm better now, it took me a while to recover from it (I still suffer some residual symptopms at times, but considering that it has caused some people to be bedridden, I'm very blessed I didn't have Lyme any worse). But I heard about this book and thought it sounded interesting. It's good to read something educational every once in a while, right?





MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs

Another book I heard about through a Booktuber (I think it was Jesse the Reader in a tag he did). The title sounded interesting to me, so I checked it out without even knowing what the book was about. When I picked it up, the cover kind of creeped me out, so I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it or not. I finished reading this one, and actually thought it was really good. (Is there a sequel? Please tell me there's a sequel!)




That's all I checked out this time. So far I think I made very good choices. I've enjoyed both of the ones I've read/started reading.  I've never read anything by these authors before, but I really like their style and the stories themselves. They just found themselves another fan. :)

Any suggestions on other books I should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment