Pages

Monday, November 17, 2014

Day 17: Doubts

Today I found myself struggling.

I kept thinking, what if no one likes what I write? What if no one will ever read it?

For one thing, this is writing for Nanowrimo, which while it's great for getting the creative juices going, it's not really known as a time to produce great quality work.

It's not like anyone is going to see my rough draft any way.

But sometimes I find myself doubting, and wanting to shove my writing away, as if that will actually do any good.

Why should I be miserable just because some people aren't going to like my writing?

You can't please everyone. I'm sure there's people who hate J. K. Rowling's books (I know someone who hates Wuthering Heights). Every book has its haters. And there's nothing wrong with people disliking certain books. We all have different styles and preferences.

Constructive criticism is one thing. Those people are genuinely trying to help you make your writing better. But some people are just not going to like it, no matter what. And other people are going to try to make your life miserable because they don't like it.

Listen to the good criticism. Ignore the haters. Write for those who like your writing. Go with your gut on what criticism to implement. People can give great suggestions, but the truth is, no one knows your story like you do. You have to write it true to your own heart.

All in all, it was still a great day for me to get writing done. Keep going. Don't let a little dislike or a really mean comment deter you from something you love.

Today's Total: 2,641
Total So Far: 28,417
Left to Write: 21,583

No comments:

Post a Comment